Stem empowers artists and their teams to thrive while retaining full control over their music careers. Through a comprehensive distribution offering, including artist-development services and data-driven insights, Stem arms artists with the tools & resources needed to flourish creatively & commercially. Widely-known for its intuitive interface, Stem provides a seamless experience, allowing artists to effortlessly track, split, and disperse revenue to multiple recipients in real-time. By working collaboratively with its users on their overall career strategy and financial literacy, Stem’s commitment goes beyond distribution. The experienced professionals at Stem work closely with artists, serving as an extension of their team. Leveraging a vast network of artist marketing resources, Stem offers personalized guidance and support with artists and their teams in the driver's seat. Utilizing Stem’s bespoke servicing and data-driven approach are artists and labels of every genre and size such as Brent Faiyaz, Soulection, LANY, Three Six Zero, Catch & Release Records, Neon Gold, and many others. Recognizing the innovation and lucidity of this ecosystem, Billboard deemed Stem one of their Top 20 Distributors, Fast Company hailed Stem among its “Most Innovative Companies” in 2021, while BuiltIn named it one of the “Best Places To Work” for the last 4 years.
Our growing Royalty Services team is solving the burden of royalty calculations for independent record labels and making it easier for artists to forecast, collect, and manage what they’re owed. We have years of experience building intuitive financial tools for artists and labels and now we’re applying that expertise to one of the most tedious tasks in the music industry. When we’re done, labels will have more insight into their business, and artists will get paid on time. Trust us—it takes a lot of technology to make it sound so simple.
We’re seeking a Manager of Royalty Services with solid experience in royalties, a passion for music, and an ability to make complex processes easy to understand. You’ll be a Senior lead of royalty services, which is our new platform to independent record labels in North America, and help us improve the lives of people who get paid from music.
This role is full-time and fully remote, with occasional in-person get-togethers in Los Angeles for which we cover travel / lodging for out-of-town employees.
Stem Disintermedia is led by a driven & collaborative team from diverse backgrounds, including senior professionals from Spotify, UTA, Hired, and Apple Music. Our group of investors and strategic advisors includes former COO of Venmo Michael Vaughan, Carta CEO Henry Ward, Quality Control Music (Cardi B, the Migos and Lil Yachty) co-founder and COO Kevin "Coach K" Lee, and QED Investors partner Frank Rotman. Our employees include musicians, parents, activists, artists, and more. We’re united by our shared values, commitment to exceptional partnership, and fierce belief in Stem’s mission.
What you'll do:
- Lead the recorded royalty services team to deliver a great royalty accounting service and experience to our growing roster of labels
- Process new periods of master/mechanical statements for current clients by ingesting DSP statements, costs, metadata, contract terms, and third party income
- Review periods processed by the Royalty Services team to ensure data is flowing over correctly to Product/Engineering
- Define and roll out the internal royalty and operational processes, as well as oversee the ongoing optimization of the processes
- Work closely with the sales team, finance team, and product team to further address customer and business needs
- Be on periodic sales calls with potential clients as the subject matter expertise
- Collaborate with product and engineering to further develop the product and the user experience
- Be the point of contact for client requests. Produce ad hoc reports, research, calculations, and analytics as needed by clients
- Help to train, mentor, and grow the royalty services team as the company scales
- Attend trainings and pipeline meetings as required
- Represent Stem at industry events and conferences
- Help independent labels stay independent by bringing fintech to music!
Our ideal candidate has:
- 5 or more years of recorded music royalty accounting experience
- Direct experience working in the music industry at a label
- Experience managing teams and leading the royalties function
- Working knowledge of processing royalties and how they work and ability to interpret music contracts
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to translate and convey music royalty information to product, engineering, and other teams
- Effectively and positively communicate about royalties to customers
- Experience with modern royalty accounting software, including Curve
- A positive team player as well as a successful individual performer
- Ability to work cross functionally with external people/teams of different personalities and work styles
- Has the ability to meet and set deadlines
- Extremely detail oriented and meticulous
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Provided outside royalty accounting services or business management services to labels
- Passion for numbers and a strong ability to problem solve
- Experience in handling publishing royalties
Technologies/Systems/Software you will use:
- Google Workspace
- Royalty Account Systems (Preference of Curve)
- Google Sheets/Excel
- Other remote collaboration tools as needed
The salary range for this job is $120,000 to $135,000. This is a good faith effort at the time of posting. This range is base salary only and does not include equity, benefits, and any other compensatory components of the role.
Don't match every skill listed? Almost nobody does! Think you're a good fit anyway? Please let us know.
- Competitive compensation package including equity for all full-time employees. We maintain salary brackets for all career tracks to ensure equitable salaries across the company.
- 100% premiums covered for employee medical, dental, and vision (60% for dependents)
- Company 401(k) match up to 4%
- Unlimited paid time off
- Life insurance
- Student loan paydown program
- Excellent parental leave policies
**Stem is an equal opportunity employer, and more than that, actively strives to build and nurture a diverse, inclusive, and equitable team. We celebrate differences and screen for shared values rather than culture fit. We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.**